Blueberry Lemon Donuts
These donuts can be made so easily with puff pastry sheets, fresh blueberries and Chilean lemon zest!
Remember how I teamed up with Kitchen PLAY and Foods from Chile in the ? How I received a mystery box of some amazing Chilean ingredients and asked you guys on what I should make? Well, I had some amazing ideas from so many of you but the one that really caught my eye was the comment from Brit who suggested that I make fruit empanadas.
So with Brit’s suggestion, I decided to make these super quick and easy “empanadas,” which are actually more like donuts made with puff pastry sheets. So with some fresh berries and a sprinkling of fresh Chilean lemon zest and sugar, these donuts are an incredible crowd-pleaser for everyone! They’re also the perfect option for breakfast-on-the-go. After all, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right? I’d even take these babies a bit further and slather on a lemon glaze!
Oh and don’t forget to join me on August 6th (tonight!) for a fun-filled #CookChilean Twitter party with some amazing prizes! Just be sure to follow @FoodsfromChile and make sure you’ve also registered here. See you all then!
You’ll also want to remember that Chile is the world’s largest exporter of grapes (hint hint)!
Blueberry lemon donuts made so easily with puff pastry sheets, fresh blueberries and Chilean lemon zest!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place puff pastry sheet on a surface that has been sprinkled with flour. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut out 12 circles.
- Place 6 puff pastry circles onto the prepared baking sheet. Top with blueberries, lemon zest and sugar and then top with another puff pastry circle, using a fork to seal the edges. Repeat with remaining puff pastry circles to make 6 donuts.
- Brush the tops with the egg wash and cut two small slits on each donut using a sharp knife. Place into oven and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from The Comfort of Cooking