Every time I’m in San Francisco visiting Jason, I’m always making different kinds of lasagnas because (1) each lasagna dish makes at least 6 servings, (2) they freeze extremely well, and (3) they’re Jason’s main food supply when I go back to LA. So I’m always on the lookout for new lasagna recipes and this one immediately caught my eye because it’s made in such an unconventional way. For starters, it’s made in a skillet, not your usual 9x13 baking dish. Secondly, lasagna noodles aren’t even used! I used bowtie pasta but I’m sure penne or even fusilli would be great. And thirdly, this skillet version of lasagna takes a lot less effort than the traditional lasagna dish, which is definitely a plus in my book.
The reason why this skillet lasagna is so much easier than traditional lasagna is because you can throw all your ingredients into a skillet, top it off with three different kinds of cheeses - ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan - and have dinner served in 30 minutes. Plus, it’s filled with such amazing goodies and flavors in every bite: pasta surrounded by spicy Italian sausage and mushrooms with gooey melted cheese throughout along with some fresh herbs to balance out all the flavors. Mmmmm.
Skillet Lasagna (adapted from Baked Bree):
Yields 4-6 servings
- 1 pound bowtie pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini (or white cap) mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large cast-iron skillet. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks.
Add the red bell pepper, onions and mushrooms; cook until the onions begin to soften and the mushrooms give off their juices, about 4-5 minutes.
Add the red-pepper flakes, oregano and garlic; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in the basil and parsley until well-combined.
Remove from heat; immediately combine the hot pasta and sausage mixture, allowing the flavors to soak.
Add dollops of ricotta cheese.
Layer the mozzarella cheese
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Place into oven and bake until the cheese is melted throughout, about 15 minutes.
Serve immediately, garnished with remaining basil and parsley.
- not-enough-rain reblogged this from damndelicious
- minttokki likes this
- whiteberryl likes this
- rev320productions likes this
- theambermay likes this
- johndiggshaha reblogged this from damndelicious
- nioj22 reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- mayaisawesomer likes this
- thepassionsdeep likes this
- hazelnuthoney reblogged this from thegirlwiththedragonitetattoo
- thegirlwiththedragonitetattoo reblogged this from damndelicious
- thegirlwiththedragonitetattoo likes this
- nmat21 likes this
- angryyoungandpoor13 reblogged this from damndelicious
- bluu82 likes this
- ccccuuuuppppccccaaaakkkkeeee likes this
- tobiowoyemi likes this
- maquoo likes this
- sarabouvois reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- sarabouvois likes this
- pressurebomblove reblogged this from damndelicious
- pressurebomblove likes this
- kascds likes this
- thecretan reblogged this from damndelicious
- sharonpena likes this
- rubyradness likes this
- unleashaclutteredmind likes this
- rosetta-on-latte likes this
- smallisfun likes this
- gonzo4batz likes this
- kissme-like-youmissme likes this
- kissme-like-youmissme reblogged this from damndelicious
- dreamingbigwithsmallsteps reblogged this from damndelicious
- wannara likes this
- haya122 likes this
- polaroidpoolparty likes this
- lemonadest likes this
- tymswastedwenmnotwithu likes this
- dairyfarey reblogged this from damndelicious
- romandestiny reblogged this from damndelicious
- paradisepalm likes this
- fluffy-ty-dye likes this
- hawaiianbistro reblogged this from damndelicious
- hawaiianbistro likes this
- acutebelligerence likes this
- msgoldenbihh likes this
- s-martian likes this
- the-dos likes this
- whatshername8 likes this