Lighter Sesame Chicken
I love Martha Stewart’s lighter versions of traditional Chinese dishes because not only do they taste better than takeout but it’s probably half the calories!
Now I adapted the recipe a bit and steamed the broccoli right into the sauce mixture because when I tried this method with the Lighter General Tso’s Chicken, the broccoli became infused with all of the flavors and became the best part of the dish. It worked beautifully in this dish as well, which balanced out the wonderful flavors of sweet and savory.
It was a light and healthy dish, filled with tons of flavor, and was quicker then takeout. Win!
Lighter Sesame Chicken (adapted from Martha Stewart):
Yields 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or crushed with a garlic press
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into large florets, stems peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup brown rice, for serving
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced, for serving
To make the sauce, combine the honey, sesame seeds, soy sauce and garlic in a small bowl; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites and cornstarch.
Add the chicken; season with salt and pepper, to taste, and gently toss to combine.
Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Cook the chicken in two batches, turning occasionally, until golden and opaque throughout, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add the sauce mixture and broccoli florets to the saucepan. Cook, covered, until broccoli is tender and sauce has thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
Add the chicken, along with any juices, and stir to coat, about 1 minute.
Serve immediately with brown rice, garnished with scallions, if desired.
- miintymee likes this
- thunderwishes reblogged this from damndelicious
- six8ths likes this
- johnmariscos likes this
- youpitralala likes this
- kriskashi reblogged this from damndelicious
- kriskashi likes this
- paresatbp likes this
- captainfailboat likes this
- ilikechocolatemilkxd likes this
- ilikechocolatemilkxd reblogged this from damndelicious
- rickydesaintphane likes this
- erikabanana likes this
- jlokdhorses likes this
- collegeculinary likes this
- silenceisgoldenn- likes this
- sugscott likes this
- damndelicious posted this