Loaded Potato Skins
Every time Jason comes home, I love fattening him up. He’s completely deprived of quality, homemade food when he’s up north so I make it a mission to have his favorite foods all lined up. These potato skins was one of the many fattening, artery-clogging food items that I made for him when he was visiting during spring break. But then again since this was baked, I guess it’s not that bad for you, right?
Now this was my first time making potato skins, and even though it was fairly easy, I was a bit surprised as to how time-consuming it was to make. You first have to bake the potatoes for an hour, then you slice them in half and scoop out the insides, and then they go back in the oven for 20 more minutes, 10 minutes on each side. Once that’s done, they get topped with the good stuff, bacon and cheese, and they get baked a final time for 5 minutes. There’s lots of baking involved so be sure to plan enough time to make these.
But even though it was a bit tedious to be taking these potato skins in and out of the oven, every effort was worth it once you take that first bite. I mean, cheesy bacon goodness sitting in a pothole of potato? Yes! And don’t forget that added sour cream on top, which just makes everything better. I think Jason enjoyed these as much as I did, especially because he ate about 5 of these without even blinking!
Loaded Potato Skins (adapted from For the Love of Cooking):
Yields 6 servings
- 6 russet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 12 dollops sour cream
- 3 green onions, sliced
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a cooling rack inside a baking sheet.
Scrub the potatoes clean under cold, running water.
Place the potatoes onto the prepared baking sheet and pierce the potatoes about 6-12 times with a fork. (This will allow steam to escape during the cooking process.)
Place into the oven and bake for 1 hour, or until tender; let cool enough to handle.
While the potatoes are baking, heat a small skillet over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Cut each potato in half horizontally, then carefully scoop out the center of the potato, reserving for another use, leaving about 1/4-inch of potato on the skin.
Brush both sides of each potato skin with olive oil; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Place into oven and roast for 10 minutes on one side, then flip the skins over and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
Add the bacon and cheddar into each potato skin.
Place into the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Add a dollop of sour cream to each skin and top with green onions.
- juanobangz likes this
- kazutoxazuma reblogged this from damndelicious
- kazutoxazuma likes this
- aflaxx likes this
- scoobydoolove16 reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- scoobydoolove16 likes this
- leeloothegreatdane likes this
- vivalakayvida likes this
- snazzypanda13 reblogged this from damndelicious
- this-sweet-venom likes this
- youngelements likes this
- devininspace likes this
- devininspace reblogged this from damndelicious
- likeasnowstorm reblogged this from damndelicious
- if-i-leave-you-in-my-pocket likes this
- something-in-the-way-she-knows likes this
- imaginaryenemy-xo likes this
- chippy716 likes this
- tinti25 likes this
- tinti25 reblogged this from damndelicious
- im-a-preencess likes this
- sevahcailatan likes this
- tarshish-storms likes this
- cacunosilence likes this
- miseryfuckingchastain likes this
- i-just-want-to-be-forever-young reblogged this from damndelicious
- darrianmoore likes this
- bunnireptar reblogged this from damndelicious
- bebadl likes this
- jarhead76 reblogged this from damndelicious
- facadescape reblogged this from damndelicious
- dai-seven likes this
- unfaithfuldove reblogged this from damndelicious
- booyoupoo likes this
- kimdiep likes this
- vitamincece likes this
- twig-antlers likes this
- mayankumar likes this
- nanavalentine likes this
- being-logan reblogged this from damndelicious
- ladyqueenofheart likes this
- dreamersanddreams reblogged this from damndelicious
- windtaken likes this
- lysamarie612 likes this
- aliperezshirley likes this
- unorthod0xed reblogged this from practicallyperfectineverywayy
- zombiexxxqueen reblogged this from practicallyperfectineverywayy
- practicallyperfectineverywayy reblogged this from sketchyandspook
- sketchyandspook reblogged this from damndelicious
- clara-winchester-holmes reblogged this from damndelicious