Stovetop Butternut Macaroni and Cheese
I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who disliked macaroni and cheese. I mean, it’s several kinds of cheeses melted together, which is then tossed in some pasta, preferably pasta noodles with holes in them so the sauce can get caught in those crevices. What’s not to like? My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Now this is definitely not one of my my usual meals that I make when Jason’s out of town so this recipe was specifically reserved for him when he was visiting during his spring break. I was intrigued with the addition of the butternut squash, which was very mild in taste but created a wonderful texture to the dish. Plus, it healthified it a bit so it’s a win-win, right?
I do have to confess that I didn’t buy a whole butternut squash. The reason for this is because every time I buy the whole shebang, it sits on the counter and it never gets used, even though I have a recipe all lined out and I have the rest of the ingredients sitting right in the fridge. Why? Because I hate peeling it and chopping it. It’s a pain in the ass. I seriously think I get a full-on workout just dealing with it. So instead of wasting yet another butternut squash, I just bought the chopped up ones from Trader Joe’s. Life’s hard enough as it is so let’s make the other stuff as easy as possible.
One year ago: French Toast
Stovetop Butternut Macaroni and Cheese (adapted from Lauren’s Latest):
Yields 4 servings
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add the garlic, onion and squash.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
Add the chicken stock and reduce by half.
Mash the squash and onions using a potato masher. (This is an optional step but I highly recommend it since it will help dissolve these goodies into the sauce.)
Stir in the milk and cheeses, a little bit at a time, until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the pasta and gently toss to combine.
Stir in the nutmeg, salt and pepper, to taste.
Also, don’t forget to enter my giveaway! Winners for the donut pan will be picked on Friday, April 20th and announced Monday.
- dondonita likes this
- producingstatic likes this
- keep-mehighh likes this
- imfictional likes this
- otisthefish reblogged this from damndelicious
- otisthefish likes this
- hellrkitty likes this
- gnarlysaliva likes this
- nikkireth likes this
- wanderll-ustt likes this
- struckbyskyrai likes this
- the-rizz likes this
- dreamsmadeflesh likes this
- spookywalkers likes this
- hgkjdgd likes this
- buluoge likes this
- julianovak16 likes this
- kaydun reblogged this from damndelicious
- malbokuu likes this
- sanluisss likes this
- lovelywinona likes this
- boodlesandtonicplz reblogged this from damndelicious
- la-de-da-sue likes this
- rosalafae likes this
- aeloreus reblogged this from damndelicious
- crazyblondemonster reblogged this from damndelicious
- anime-hentai likes this
- awkwardreiofsunshine likes this
- yeb84 likes this
- samanthacassidy likes this
- lexxinsanity reblogged this from damndelicious
- salmonhair likes this
- sewon reblogged this from damndelicious
- beautifulsaltine likes this
- pissingthenightaway reblogged this from damndelicious
- kariloves likes this
- matteovich likes this
- troubleinaskirt likes this
- shortcakes20 reblogged this from damndelicious
- gingerfu likes this
- the-back-door reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- perfect-prefect-percy reblogged this from damndelicious
- nikabreeker likes this
- superwomanlane likes this
- detectivenigma likes this
- color-in-the-lines reblogged this from princessofplunder
- color-in-the-lines likes this
- princessofplunder reblogged this from damndelicious
- burning-bayou reblogged this from damndelicious