Buttermilk Biscuits with Maple Sausage Gravy #SundaySupper AND a Fantastic Giveaway! (GIVEAWAY CLOSED)
This week’s installment of #SundaySupper is a particularly special one as we have partnered up with LAND O LAKES® to introduce their new product LAND O LAKES® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt, which contains wholesome ingredients such as sweet cream, olive oil and sea salt. Available in premeasured half-stick size, this product can be used as an easy and convenient way to simply enhance the flavor of your favorite foods, combing the two ingredients consumers often combine separately when frying or sautéing foods.
Now I actually used this product to make some fresh buttermilk biscuits. I’ve never made biscuits before (although it’s been on my cooking bucket list for quite some time now) because I always thought it would be too time-consuming or difficult, but boy was I wrong. Making biscuits is incredibly quick and easy, and playing with the dough is always an adventure. But once I made these oh-so-flaky biscuits with just the right amount of seasoning thanks to the LAND O LAKES® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt, I couldn’t help but make this AH-MAZING maple sausage gravy. This is also a cinch to whip up, and provides the best type of comfort food when slathered on a freshly baked, piping hot biscuit.
So here’s how you make this:
Let’s first start by mixing up our dry ingredients.
Then take out your awesome LAND O LAKES® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt,
cut them into cubes and throw them in the bowl with the dry ingredients.
Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to work them into the dry ingredients until it gets really crumbly.
Now it’s time to mix your wet ingredients - milk, heavy cream, Greek yogurt, vinegar and egg.
Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, stirring just until moist.
Then we’re going to dump out the dough onto a well floured surface.
Go ahead and knead the dough for about 5-6 times. Creating layers of dough will help create awesome flakiness.
Roll out the dough to a 1-inch thickness and cut out 2-inch biscuits. Roll up the scraps and continue cutting them out. You should get about 8 biscuits.
Put them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat mat and brush the tops with some heavy cream. This will give the tops of the biscuit a nice, rustic golden brown color.
Pop it in the oven for about 15-18 minutes and you’ll have some piping hot, super moist and wonderfully flaky biscuits. You can stop here and slather on some more of that LAND O LAKES® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt as a perfect breakfast option, or you can go a step further and make the gravy.
To make the gravy, we’ll start with your favorite breakfast sausage - I used this awesome bratwurst I found at Fresh & Easy.
Throw it in a saucepan with some pureed onions and sauté until the sausage has browned and crumbled.
Stir in the flour and cayenne pepper.
The mixture will get really thick and resemble some sort of paste.
Then add in the milk and heavy cream and watch the magic happen as this thickens up into a gravy that is absolutely to die for.
Stir in some maple syrup…
and there you’ll have a maple sausage gravy that you’ll want to eat right out of the pan.
But before you do, just top some off onto a piping hot biscuit and you’ll be in heaven.
Want to try out the LAND O LAKES® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt? Well LAND O LAKES® has been so kind to provide me with a coupon for a free package for one lucky reader!
Here’s how to enter:
Simply leave a comment letting me know what your favorite recipe is made with butter. Easy peasy.
Giveaway ends on Friday, June 15, 2012 at 8:00 p.m. Pacific time. The winner will be selected by random.org and contacted by email. If there is no response after 48 hours, another winner will be selected. Open to US residents only.
- Ravioli Florentine with Spinach and Butter Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books &Cooks
- Roasted Salmon & Asparagus with grilled Garlic Bread by Daily Dish Recipes
- Steak with Blue Cheese Butter by In the Kitchen with KP
- Pasta with Roasted Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Fettucini with Cream Sauce and Turkey Sausage by Val’s Food and or Art
- Linguini with Clam Sauce by The Pig and the Fig
- Butter Burgers by Ultra Epicure
- Bacon and Havarti Quiche by Juanita’s Cocina
- Cider Chicken with Butter Pecan Rice by Momma’s Meals
- Crusty French Bread with Sun-Dried Tomato and Parmesan Herb Butter byThe Weekend Gourmet
- Chicken Scallopini by Diabetic Foodie
- Pasta with Butter Thyme Sauce by Magnolia Days
- Chicken Tikka Masala by Melissa Likes to Eat
- Empanadas by The Primlani Kitchen
- White Bean Ragout with Grilled Garlic Bread by Comfy Cuisine
- Wild Raisin Nut Rice Pilaf with Olive Butter & Sea Salt by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Olive Oil and Sea Salt Pan Seared Scallops with Quinoa by Big Bears Wife
- Flank Steak with Garlic and Wild Mushrooms by Family Spice
- Bay Scallop Gratin by An Appealing Plan
- Buttery Sea Salt Tuna Fajitas by Family Foodie
- Sole Meniere by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken with Butter Sauce and Fresh Veggies by BG Garden
- Bacon Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Dinner, Dishes and Desserts
- Sage Cornbread Muffins with Cranberry Orange Butter by Cupcakes and KaleChips
- Easy Onion Focaccia Rolls by The Meltaways
- Whole Wheat Biscuits by Cookistry
- Buttery Garlic Knots by From My Corner of Saratoga
- Herbed Cheese Bread with Pancetta and Onions by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Warm Balsamic Green Beans by Chip Chip Hooray
- Buttery Herbed Potatoes by The Messy Baker Blog
- Basil Butter Corn by Supper for a Steal
- Mashed Potatoes with Herb Butter and Cheese by Basic and Delicious
One year ago: Zucchini and Kimchi Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Buttermilk Biscuits with Maple Sausage Gravy (adapted from Lauren’s Latest):
Yields 6-8 servings
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt, cut into bits
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 large egg
For the gravy:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, pureed
- 1 (12-ounce) package bratwurst sausages, casings removed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
Add the cold butter and toss to coat, using your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.
In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together the milk, heavy cream, Greek yogurt, vinegar and egg.
Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist.
Pour the dough onto a well floured surface and knead lightly about 5-6 times. Roll the dough to a 1-inch thickness and use a 2-inch round cutter to cut out the biscuits. Press together the scraps and repeat, making about 8 biscuits.
Place the biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with the heavy cream. Place into oven and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
To make the gravy, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sausage and cook until the sausage has browned, about 5-10 minutes, making sure to crumble the meat as it cooks.
Stir in the flour and cayenne pepper until moistened, about 1 minute. Gradually stir in the milk and heavy cream until the sauce has begun to thicken, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in the maple syrup and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
To serve, split the biscuits in half and top with maple sausage gravy. Serve hot.
Disclosure: The author received a full-value coupon redeemable for LAND O LAKES® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt, for recipe development and review purposes. All opinions are my own.
- emilyjeanne likes this
- hellrkitty likes this
- thesedarkcorners likes this
- pizzapaws likes this
- jessicaism likes this
- panda-tracks likes this
- dayescape likes this
- stupidand-contagious likes this
- youpitralala likes this
- thislove14x likes this
- leggxxlove reblogged this from damndelicious
- poppopchipinmytop likes this
- fantasticbyaccident likes this
- damndelicious posted this