Egg Salad BLTA Sandwich
When it comes to lunch at work, I never order out. I always bring leftovers from home but most of my coworkers order from the cafe in our building everyday. Their food is somewhat decent but they overcharge way too much. And I can’t seem to justify paying $10 for lunch for myself when I can make it so much better right at home. That’s not to say that I’m a better cook than them but when I make it myself, I know exactly what ingredients are going into this dish, and I can control the fat and salt content.
So anyway, a couple of weeks ago, my coworker ordered an egg salad sandwich from this cafe, and it looked so freaking good. Since then, I was craving this egg salad sandwich but instead of paying a fortune for this sandwich at the cafe, I recreated it, and made it 100x better by adding bacon and avocado of course.
Yeah, I totally made a BLT sandwich, packing it with a liberal amount of crisp applewood smoked bacon, fresh avocado and a heaping spoonful of dijon mustard egg salad. Even with the bacon, this sandwich was light and filling, and half a sandwich was a perfect serving size for me. Jason, on the other hand, had 1 1/2 sandwiches. I think he was overeating a bit but he said it was one of the best sandwiches ever so I kept making more sandwiches for him!
So here’s how you make this:
We’ll start with some applewood smoked bacon (I get mine from Trader Joe’s), and throw four slices onto a hot skillet and get them nice and crisp.
Then we’ll hard-boil some eggs and give it a rough dice…
and then mash them up with the mayo, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper, to taste.
Then we’ll just toast up some wheat bread, throw on the spinach, tomatoes, egg salad, avocado and bacon and you’re all set!
One year ago: Chicken Marsala
Egg Salad BLTA Sandwich (adapted from Eat, Live, Run):
Yields 2 servings
- 4 slices applewood smoked bacon
- 4 eggs, hard boiled and diced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices wheat bread, toasted, for serving
- Baby spinach, for serving
- Sliced tomatoes, for serving
- Sliced avocado, for serving
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
In a large bowl, roughly mash the eggs with the mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve sandwiches on wheat bread with spinach, tomatoes, egg salad, avocado and bacon.
- thelovelyphones likes this
- alimentaire reblogged this from damndelicious
- illsevenyournine reblogged this from damndelicious
- terribells reblogged this from damndelicious
- emilyjeanne likes this
- less-than-waffle reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- dooshlord likes this
- heartsnatcher likes this
- bkachureblogs reblogged this from wordsthatididntsay
- fuzzyandhunter likes this
- tobiaswraithwall reblogged this from damndelicious
- hjooor89 reblogged this from damndelicious
- chin-up-dear reblogged this from damndelicious
- miss-nomnom likes this
- hjooor89 likes this
- yummybites likes this
- dayescape likes this
- mareuhhh likes this
- elliecarstens likes this
- wordsthatididntsay reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- annyoudeviousbastard likes this
- starlightwhirl likes this
- gellabellabean likes this
- cakelove516 likes this
- joyuntiltheveryend likes this
- nevermindmynonsense likes this
- cmao likes this
- agc289 likes this
- youpitralala likes this
- dreamsinvadingreality likes this
- llama-robber reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- llama-robber likes this
- allisonsasso likes this
- makeupandsin likes this
- flamingokitty22 likes this
- damndelicious posted this