Stuffed Green Chili con Queso Cheeseburger Sliders #SundaySupper
Labor Day is such a great holiday. You get a day off of work (and/or school) and it gives you the perfect excuse to barbecue a copious amount of artery clogging foods and overeat until you’re ready explode. Or does that apply to just me and Jason?
If you’re not ready to stuff your face this holiday weekend, I hope I can change your mind with these awesome sliders. Now this isn’t any ordinary slider. What makes these so special is that the meat patty is stuffed with a homemade green chili con queso and then when you’re ready to eat, you’ll serve these babies with a scoop of even more queso.
So what are you waiting for? Fire up the grill, throw on the meat patties and serve these bad boys with some fries and a cold beer. You can thank me later. :)
Here’s how to make this:
Let’s first start with the queso by sweating out some onions and garlic for about 3-4 minutes.
Then we’ll stir in the chilis and milk for a minute or so.
Next, we’ll throw in the cheeses, a handful at a time. Stir it all together until it gets nice and smooth which should take about 2 minutes. You can always add more milk if it’s too thick.
Don’t forget to season with salt and pepper to your liking.
Now let’s get some good quality ground beef for the meat patties. I spent a little more money than I usually would and snagged some ground sirloin. It’s $6.99/lb but so worth it!
Let’s take the ground beef and create 12 balls to form 1/4-inch-thick patties. (Now I’m a bit OCD so I weighed each ball of meat. It’s okay - you can totally judge me.) Go ahead and top 6 of the patties with 1 tablespoon Monterey Jack and queso each before topping it with another meat patty.
Before throwing these guys on the skillet, be sure to season both sides with salt and pepper. We’ll cook them for about 3-4 minutes on each side for a medium rare. The secret here is to flip these guys only once.
When you’re ready, serve the burgers with sliced avocado and a generous scoop of queso.
Don’t forget to check out what everyone else is bringing to the table for our Labor Day cookout!
Startes & Snacks
- Lobster Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Spread by Magnolia Days
- Toast Topper #8: Tomato Confit for #SundaySupper by Yummy Smells
- Honey BBQ Wings and Cool Ranch by Big Bears Wife
- Finger Lickin’ Chicken Drumettes by Noshing with the Nolands
- Baked Shrimp and Pasta Caprese by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Korean chili by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Newfangled Cowtown White Chicken Chili by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Kimchi Mom
- Smoked Pork Butt (A How-To) from Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs by The Messy Baker Blog
- Adana kebab by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Portabello Paninis by The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Bloody Mary Skirt Steak by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Tuna and Roasted Pepper Packets by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Mint Marinated Beef Kabobs with Garlic Sauce by Sustainable Dad
- Creamy Latin Style Pasta by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spicy Portuguese Style Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Aromatic Glazed Salmon by Happy Baking Days
- Pork sliders by Basic ‘N Delicious
- Foil Packet Chicken by In the Kitchen with Audrey
Salads & Sides
- Mom’s Savory Pork’n’Beans by Webicurean
- Ranch Potato Salad by My Catholic Kitchen
- Gluten Free Penne hot salad with basil, asparagus, cherry tomatoes fresh mozzarella and chicken with a mustard vineagarete for #SundaySupper by Cooking Underwriter
- Southern Surprise Potato Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- #SundaySupper Marinated Ginger Chicken & Spinach Salad by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Roasted Potato & Corn Salad w/ Bacon by GirliChef
- Vegan Caprese Salad by Galactosemia in PDX
- Picnic Friendly Grilled Vegetable Salad by Mama Mommy Mom
- Smokin Hot Caribbean Spiced Corn-On-The-Cob by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Potato salad with Stilton and bacon by Tora’s Real Food
- Tomato Feta Orzo Salad by Family Foodie
- lightened lemon pound cake by The Meltaways
- Root Beer Float Cupcakes by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cream Squares by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Fresh Mango Pie by La Cocina De Leslie
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten Free Lemon Blondies by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Baker Street
- Strawberry Pie + White Sangria by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Grilled Banana Splits by Diabetic Foodie
- Easy Desserts: Frozen Chocolate Bananas by Home Cooking Memories
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake by Comfy Cuisine
- Blueberry Lemon Whoopie Pies for a Holiday Cookout #SundaySupper by In the Kitchen with KP
- Labor Day Cookout Food And Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ
One year ago: Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze
Stuffed Green Chili con Queso Cheeseburger Sliders (adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride):
Yields 3-4 servings
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 6 tablespoons shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- 6 split slider buns, toasted, for serving
- Sliced avocado, for serving
For the green chili con queso:
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilis
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 ounces white American cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the chilies and milk until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in the cheeses until smooth, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. If the mixture is too thick, add more milk as needed.
Divide the ground beef into 12 balls; press each lightly to form 1/4-inch-thick patties. Top 6 of the patties with 1 tablespoon Monterey Jack cheese, 1 tablespoon queso and an additional patty; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the patties to the skillet and cook until browned and cooked through to medium rare, about 3-4 minutes per side, flipping only once.
Serve burgers on rolls with avocado and additional queso.
- adalimedina likes this
- oohlalafoodfind reblogged this from damndelicious
- bfoodgalore likes this
- kimmychompsonlife likes this
- lindeelicious likes this
- sporkme likes this
- johnmariscos likes this
- ooohbollocks reblogged this from catgirlxlrg
- youpitralala likes this
- catgirlxlrg reblogged this from damndelicious
- catgirlxlrg likes this
- cubacuberwyn419 reblogged this from damndelicious
- cubacuberwyn419 likes this
- sincerely-tiffany likes this
- bard-core likes this
- samzhangg reblogged this from damndelicious
- tealpolish likes this
- damndelicious posted this