I had some leftover flank stank from the Chinese Beef with Broccoli so I decided to continue fulfilling my Chinese food cravings and make Mongolian beef. This dish was just as simple to prepare and tasted amazing without that greasy-oily texture from take-out. I really enjoyed the sauce, which was more of a glaze since it was both wonderfully savory and sweet. I just wish I could make it a bit spicy but other than that, it was a great dish and I’ll be sure to make this again.
Mongolian Beef (adapted from Love & Olive Oil):
Yields 2 servings
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Cooked white rice, for serving
Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium low heat. Add the ginger and garlic.
Quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches. Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then raise the heat to medium and boil until the sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
Place the cornstarch in a small bowl. Add the steak and gently press to coat. (You want to apply a very thin dusting to both sides.) Let sit for about 10 minutes to allow the cornstarch to stick.
Heat 1 cup vegetable oil in a saucepan. (You want it nice and hot but not smoking). Add the steak and saute until the edges begin to darken, about 2 minutes. (The steak will finish cooking when the sauce is added later on.)
Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate; discard remaining oil.
Add the steak and onion to the saucepan and saute for 2 minutes.
Add the prepared sauce and cook, while stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the green onions and cook, while stirring, for 1 minute.
Remove the beef and onions with tongs or a slotted spoon to a serving plate, leaving excess sauce in the pan. Serve with rice, if desired.
- miintymee likes this
- intergalacticmatter likes this
- thatotherperspective reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- catgirlxlrg reblogged this from sweet-decay
- a-bairn-and-a-cairn likes this
- sweet-decay reblogged this from damndelicious
- the-dwarves-with-the-blue-cloaks likes this
- palepinkradish likes this
- collegeculinary likes this
- johnmariscos likes this
- inseparableak likes this
- chilion likes this
- somatoast likes this
- lakesidebride likes this
- paresatbp likes this
- yummybites likes this
- damndelicious posted this