Instant Pot Ragu
The most tender beef ragu you can make in just a fraction of the time! The beef simply melts in your mouth and the sauce is so hearty!
Every time I hear the word ragu, I think of that blue jar with the yellow cap. Like the massive-Costco sized ones that would last for a whole week. You know, the life-saving portions during those college years.
But guys. The Instant Pot brings magic to a classic ragu sauce because now it can be made in just a fraction of the time! No more simmering for hours on end while constantly babysitting.
Not to mention, the beef comes out just perfect. It shreds so effortlessly and basically melts in your mouth in the heartiest tomato-based sauce ever. Also, you’re welcome for adding some onions and carrots to get our veggie intake.
Be sure to serve with a glass of the remaining red wine and crusty bread for a complete, most fabulous meal.
Instant Pot Ragu
- 16 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 2 ½ pounds boneless beef chuck roast, excess fat trimmed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well and set aside.
- Set a 6-qt Instant Pot® to the high saute setting.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat olive oil; working in two batches, add beef and cook until evenly browned, about 3-4 minutes; set aside.
- Add garlic, onion and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in tomato paste.
- Stir in red wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, thyme, cinnamon, bay leaf and beef. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 30 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Remove beef from the Instant Pot® and shred, using two forks, before returning to the pot; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately with pasta, garnished with parsley, if desired.