Classic Chicken Rice Soup
The weather here in Southern California is absolutely beautiful. I can walk around with a t-shirt on during the day but at night, it can get a bit chilly. That’s why this chicken rice soup is perfect for these cold nights. It’s packed with plenty of chicken along with spoonfuls of rice that gives you a nice soothing, hearty feeling in every bite. It’s a simple one-pot recipe that serves plenty of people so invite your friends, give them some soup, and sit in front of the fireplace to get toasty during these cold, winter days.
Classic Chicken Rice Soup (adapted from Picky Palate):
Yields 4-6 servings
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1-2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Saltines, for serving
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, to taste.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook, flipping once, until cooked through, about 6-8 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes before shredding.
Once the chicken has rested, shred with a fork.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, just until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the celery and carrots; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 8 minutes.
Add the chicken, chicken broth, rice, Dijon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper and parsley.
Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Serve immediately with Saltines, if desired.
- morbidcows reblogged this from damndelicious
- miintymee likes this
- esendoran likes this
- johnmariscos likes this
- kriskashi reblogged this from damndelicious
- kriskashi likes this
- youpitralala likes this
- brokensoulunknown reblogged this from damndelicious
- purplia19 likes this
- collegeculinary likes this
- midshipmanschmidt reblogged this from damndelicious
- chilion likes this
- paralyzednightmares likes this
- tonyrodgers reblogged this from damndelicious
- tonyrodgers likes this
- damndelicious posted this