Spicy Citrus Steamed Drumsticks with Cilantro Dipping Sauce
I know I’ve been posting a lot of wings recipe but I only thought it was suitable to post another one as Superbowl Sunday is right around the corner. Now this recipe was originally a wings recipe but during my grocery run, Trader Joe’s had run out of wings (bizzare, right?), and I was in no mood to go to another grocery store so I had to settle with drumsticks. I was initially quite annoyed as I really wanted to make the wings but resorting to drumsticks turned out to be a nice change of scenery.
This recipe calls for steamed wings but I’ve never steamed drumsticks or wings before, and I was actually really surprised as to how much of a difference it made. Wings and drumsticks tend to be baked instead of fried to make them a bit healthier but steaming them puts them a notch higher than baked.
Now the wings are initially steamed for 20 minutes, which takes away a lot of the unwanted gaminess. Then they get finished off in the oven for an additional 15 minutes, which allows the skin to crisp up and the glaze to caramelize. Every bite into the drumsticks felt so clean and fat-less, and they were packed with so much flavor. There was a little bit of spice, a little bit of saltiness, and a little bit of citrusy-ness, all playing along quite well. Once they were dipped into the cilantro dipping sauce, it was just melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
Spicy Citrus Steamed Drumsticks with Cilantro Dipping Sauce (adapted from Simply Scratch):
Yields 4-6 servings
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, sliced
For the Cilantro Dipping Sauce (adapted from Simply Scratch):
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make the dipping sauce, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, cilantro, green onions and garlic powder; season with salt and pepper, to taste; set aside.
Bring 1-inch of water to a boil in a saucepan with a steamer. (If you don’t have a steamer, you can simply put the drumsticks directly into an inch of boiling water.) Add the drumsticks to the steamer and cover; reduce heat to a gentle simmer and let steam for 15-18 minutes.
To prepare the sauce, combine the orange zest, orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, red-pepper flakes, honey, vinegar and Sriracha in a large bowl.
Once the drumsticks have steamed for 15-18 minutes, add to the sauce mixture and gently toss to combine, being careful not to tear the skin.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. (Lining your pan with foil is crucial - it will save you a lot of work. You’ll see how much of a mess it becomes in the last picture.)
Place the drumsticks onto prepared baking sheet.
Place into the oven for 15 minutes, basting both sides with the sauce every 5 minutes.
Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro and green onion.
- ihaveabugtattoo likes this
- nymphomermaid45 likes this
- jennignasmith likes this
- michelleinyourpants likes this
- middleofthemorning likes this
- bg112233 reblogged this from damndelicious
- nevergiveupevenifyounolongercan likes this
- thisbigworldthisawkwardgirl likes this
- plainwords likes this
- toneehulk likes this
- geeknpastry reblogged this from damndelicious
- coreyjamesdr likes this
- sheery25 likes this
- mrmaxima likes this
- thinkgivebelove likes this
- cat-in-the-corner reblogged this from damndelicious
- jane-onemoreday likes this
- reneevonveronica reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- reneevonveronica likes this
- bluesundrops likes this
- nevereverbeenperfect reblogged this from damndelicious
- radical-flower likes this
- thug-lyfee likes this
- just-reinjel likes this
- raq41 likes this
- squishysmiles likes this
- bath38 likes this
- yorkiedoo likes this
- callherhoney likes this
- diamondlacole likes this
- evil9216 likes this
- buenavistasupperclub likes this
- panapanicakes likes this
- dannyhaitran likes this
- ordream likes this
- pompeii-loo-ooo likes this
- ever1needluv likes this
- whatwouldshanicedo reblogged this from damndelicious
- yell0modelchick likes this
- yell0modelchick reblogged this from damndelicious
- rookdapiamp likes this
- 5eyedshadow likes this
- syaaheeraah likes this
- thekentlam likes this
- speakhersexxx reblogged this from damndelicious
- speakhersexxx likes this
- ohitscallie likes this
- raycruz10 reblogged this from damndelicious