Baked Red Velvet Donuts
I have two donut pans, a regular-sized one and another one for mini donuts. But for some reason, I keep forgetting that I have them. I’m so obsessed with muffins that these poor donut pans aren’t being used. Well folks, that’s all about to change. After making these red velvet donuts, I’m sure I’ll be making donuts at least once a week.
Now is it worth it to get a donut pan? Hell to the yes. There’s no need to go to your local donut store when you can whip them up right in your own kitchen. You don’t even need a mixer. Just 15 minutes of your time will do, and you’ll have fresh homemade donuts that are friendlier to your waistline.
These red velvet donuts were an absolute cinch to whip up, and I made both regular-sized donuts and mini donuts. It was a very thick batter so instead of a “cakey” type of donut, it was a wonderfully crumby one with just enough chocolatey “cakeyness” in the center. Also, be cautious of the mini donuts. They look incredibly cute and hard to resist. That being said, I ate 5 of them without even blinking.
Red Velvet Donuts (adapted from Taste and Tell):
Yields 11 donuts and 12 mini donuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
For the vanilla glaze:
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a mini donut pan and/or donut pan with nonstick spray.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg.
Whisk in the butter and chocolate.
Whisk in the buttermilk, vanilla and red food coloring.
Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist.
Scoop the batter evenly into the donut pan. (A piping bag is usually perfect for this but because the batter is thick, I used my hands.)
Place into oven and bake for 6-8 minutes for the mini donuts and 10-12 minutes for the regular-sized donuts, or until the donuts are slightly browned and spring back when touched. (Don’t worry if the tops do not look smooth. The opposite sides will be glazed so no one will even get to see this side.)
Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
To make the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons hot water. Whisk until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, add hot water as needed.
Dip the top of each donut into the glaze.
Allow glaze to set before serving.
- icorp-board likes this
- siliconme likes this
- photograghy-passion likes this
- glennspiro-taichi likes this
- constrution-bamford likes this
- telecoms-evolution reblogged this from damndelicious
- beamcvicar reblogged this from damndelicious
- carsontheroad likes this
- deathcrypt454545 reblogged this from damndelicious
- seldomseensoonforgotten reblogged this from damndelicious
- alliwhite12 reblogged this from damndelicious
- endless-tan likes this
- h1gh-eyes reblogged this from damndelicious
- h1gh-eyes likes this
- chasingsunsacrossacircularpath reblogged this from damndelicious
- ivolleyball12 reblogged this from damndelicious
- ivolleyball12 likes this
- erodedhearts likes this
- tminus321 likes this
- shinigami0kami reblogged this from kingakimono
- lovelymomof2 likes this
- bellabite144 likes this
- little-miss-flambit likes this
- kingakimono reblogged this from silver-stage
- kingakimono likes this
- deadman-steven reblogged this from cottoncandles
- cottoncandles reblogged this from silver-stage
- silver-stage reblogged this from lifeofateenagetimelord
- littlepiccoloo likes this
- rev320productions likes this
- jandl3 likes this
- wandarful likes this
- allmightymadness likes this
- ravenclawkaula likes this
- lifeofateenagetimelord reblogged this from damndelicious
- emmym-m5298 likes this
- ajalk likes this
- ajalk reblogged this from damndelicious
- lamuraya likes this
- faces-in-the-rain likes this
- yellowlittleduck reblogged this from damndelicious
- wisely-with-love reblogged this from damndelicious
- lorenamvp likes this
- asidetriptoinsanity likes this
- alittlefrayed likes this
- mikaylaalynnn reblogged this from damndelicious
- katiejohnson24 reblogged this from damndelicious
- cocokiandrea-56 likes this
- iwillbeherelonger reblogged this from damndelicious