Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas with Jalapeño Cream Sauce
It’s been 3 days since my wisdom teeth got pulled out and I’m happy to report back that I can finally eat real food. I’ve been eating Korean-style porridge since Monday, which I like to eat occasionally but not for 2 meals a day for 4 days straight.
But now that I can chew and open my mouth without any excruciating pain, I absolutely cannot wait to make these Pork Belly Sliders, Baked Chicken Burritos with Sour Cream-Poblano Sauce, and Texmex Sloppy Joes among many others that I have listed out on my “to-make” list.
But until I make these, I have this wonderful verde shrimp enchiladas for you today. These babies are packed with the huge prawns from Costco along with your fun veggies like onions, cabbage, carrots and spinach. Once we add a bit of chipotle flavor to the mix, it’s topped with an oh-so-creamy yet spicy jalapeño cream sauce. Who knew that the marriage of flavors between the chipotle and jalapeño melded so well together?
Now I absolutely loved everything about this dish except for the store-bought tortillas. I usually buy the handmade flour tortillas from Trader Joe’s but I thought I’d try something different so I picked up a bag of the corn tortillas. Little did I know that corn tortillas are not my thing.
Next time I make this, I’ll be sure to try out these DIY Flour Tortillas. It doesn’t even require yeast!
So here’s how you make this:
Let’s first roast some shrimp. Lay them out on a baking sheet, toss them with some olive oil, salt and pepper and then pop them into the oven for about 6-8 minutes.
Super easy and simple, right?
When they’re cool enough to handle, go ahead and give them a rough chop into bite-size pieces.
Now we’ll make the jalapeño cream sauce. We’ll first melt some butter,
whisk in the flour,
stir in the chicken broth,
stir in the sour cream,
and stir in the jalapeños, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Lots of good stuff happening here.
Then we’ll finish it off by throwing in some fresh cilantro.
Now we’ll make the shrimp filling. Let’s first saute some garlic and onion.
Then comes the rest of the ingredients - cabbage, carrot, spinach, chipotle pepper, oregano and cayenne. You want to saute it just until the spinach begins to wilt.
Now we’ll throw the chopped up shrimp back to the pot…
and voila, the filling is done. Not too bad right?
Then we’ll wrap them up in each of the tortillas, top it off with the creamy goodness and bake it until it gets nice and golden, about 20 minutes.
Once it comes out of the oven, top these babies off with some more of that jalapeño cream sauce - you wouldn’t want that to go to waste!
One year ago: Carne Asada
Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas with Jalapeño Cream Sauce (adapted from Gimme Some Oven):
Yields 3-4 servings
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons chipotle pepper, in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
For the jalapeño cream sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the shrimp onto the prepared baking sheet. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper, to taste, and gently toss to combine.
Place into oven and roast just until pink, firm and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before dicing into bite-size pieces.
Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9x13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, carrot, spinach, chipotle pepper, oregano and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach just begins to wilt, about 1-2 minutes. Add the shrimp and gently toss to combine.
To make the sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan. Whisk in the flour until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken stock and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the sour cream. Add the jalapeños and garlic powder and simmer unitl the sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
To assemble the enchiladas, lay the tortilla on a flat surface and spoon 1/3 cup of the shrimp mixture in the center; sprinkle with cheese. Roll the tortilla and place seam side down onto prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and shrimp mixture.
Pour half of the jalapeño cream sauce evenly over the top. Place into oven and bake, covered, until lightly golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Serve immediately with remaining jalapeño cream sauce, garnished with cilantro.
- darsya likes this
- kodistes likes this
- conversewearingdetective reblogged this from damndelicious
- conversewearingdetective likes this
- there-has-to-be-more52 reblogged this from damndelicious
- tangletalk likes this
- martianx reblogged this from damndelicious
- ryanmandyhoneyboob reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- southernbellebritt reblogged this from damndelicious
- babecavesf reblogged this from damndelicious
- ferventlyfavoringfassy likes this
- goodlawyer reblogged this from damndelicious
- ehcorn likes this
- cassalass likes this
- kes99 likes this
- eatallthethings reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- theslowandtheshort likes this
- iheartmike reblogged this from damndelicious
- iheartmike likes this
- aimeewins reblogged this from damndelicious
- lizziemcquire likes this
- farefortheextraordinaire reblogged this from damndelicious
- fluffsandstuffs likes this
- twentyandthreehundred reblogged this from damndelicious
- cheylani likes this
- ainjulle likes this
- malakkki likes this
- myhandmadejewelry likes this
- layohn reblogged this from damndelicious
- casualresonance likes this
- maddhatter13 reblogged this from damndelicious
- callingsarahkat likes this
- ready4thechallenge reblogged this from damndelicious
- jack-0-lanterns-in-july reblogged this from damndelicious
- emoxasian likes this
- deadvagabond likes this
- akaunk66 likes this
- charmcityking likes this
- renee-kitty likes this
- your-dads-sugarbaby reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- aviipavii likes this
- dhastak reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- mslonely91 likes this
- trancingkitty likes this
- dreamsinvadingreality likes this
- nevergetusedtoit likes this
- nnngoc likes this
- vickytt likes this