Italian Meatball Sandwiches
Joey Tribbiani from Friends was a crazy meatball sub lover, and as I was putting this sandwich together, I couldn’t help but think if Joey would approve of this sub. But once I took that first bite, I knew he’d be proud of me. After all, how can anyone resist a nicely toasted hoagie bun filled (Yes, filled! No skimping here guys! ) with super flavor-packed, tender meatballs sitting on a bed of homemade marinara and topped with melted mozzarella?!
The only tiny complaint that I have though was that there was not enough marinara. I’ll be sure to double it (changes made below) when I make this again!
So here’s how you make this:
We’ll make the meatballs by combining the ground beef, shallot, garlic. parsley, bread crumbs, Parmesan and egg.
Make sure it’s well combined - you can use your hands or a wooden spoon for this but it’s much easier with your hands!
Using a small cookie scoop, I was able to make about 20 meatballs.
Then we’ll heat up a skillet and throw some of those meatballs on,
making sure to get them browned on all sides.
Then we’ll make the quick and easy marinara by combining the tomato sauce, basil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and sugar, if using.
Be sure to reduce the heat to low and add the marinara and cooked meatballs back to the skillet.
We’ll let that simmer for about 10-15 minutes so it gets nice and thick.
Now let’s take some freshly baked demi baguettes…
and add about 3-4 meatballs and a thick slice of fresh mozzarella to each of them.
Pop them into a 450 degree F oven until the cheese gets all melted and bubbly.
Italian Meatball Subs (adapted from Simply Scratch):
Yields 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 large egg
- Olive oil
- 4 demi baguettes, toasted, for serving
- 4 ounces mozzarella, sliced
For the marinara:
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pinch of sugar, optional
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, shallot, garlic. parsley, bread crumbs, Parmesan and egg. Using a wooden spoon or clean hands, stir until well combined. Roll the mixture into 1 1/4-to-1 1/2-inch meatballs, forming about 18-20 meatballs.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the meatballs, in batches, and cook until all sides are browned, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, basil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and sugar, if using.
Reduce heat to low and add the tomato sauce and meatballs to the skillet, simmering until the sauce has thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
To assemble the sandwich, place 3-4 meatballs and a spoonful of marinara into each baguette. Top with sliced mozzarella and place into oven and bake until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- concerningfrodos likes this
- kenasjos likes this
- benben2010 likes this
- castrogirls3 likes this
- day-dreamingg likes this
- cupcake247 likes this
- cupcake247 reblogged this from damndelicious
- foreverhungry114 likes this
- nutelladips likes this
- ready4thechallenge reblogged this from damndelicious
- kkarol-no-bossu reblogged this from fancyforfood
- ohsoatrocious reblogged this from cattboop
- foodjunkee reblogged this from damndelicious
- cattboop reblogged this from damndelicious
- foodjunkee likes this
- owlspider reblogged this from cafeychocolate
- kitchenbucketlist26 reblogged this from gastrogirl
- cantlivewithoutya reblogged this from gastrogirl
- whatshewanted likes this
- lovelikepop reblogged this from damndelicious
- imperfectionbeautyisperfection reblogged this from gastrogirl
- nghiemminhngoc likes this
- egnis reblogged this from gastrogirl
- peachpancakes likes this
- fancyforfood reblogged this from gastrogirl
- cakecravings reblogged this from gastrogirl
- cakecravings likes this
- marbarz reblogged this from damndelicious
- themindofbuzo reblogged this from gastrogirl
- screamsaferaomi reblogged this from gastrogirl
- glamourfades likes this
- electriclandlady likes this
- bunnywithfangs reblogged this from gastrogirl
- siobhanpwns reblogged this from gastrogirl
- staytruebeyoutiful likes this
- cafeychocolate reblogged this from gastrogirl
- hlllmm reblogged this from gastrogirl
- neonstorm likes this
- enido reblogged this from chefaabg
- chefaabg reblogged this from gastrogirl
- tempssontdurspourlesreveurs likes this
- flowering-tea-leaf reblogged this from gastrogirl
- shetalkstobees likes this
- samelba likes this
- solitarycorruption reblogged this from damndelicious
- solitarycorruption likes this
- hocest-vita likes this