Blueberry Crumb Bars
I’ve had this blog for almost 2 years now and I realized that I really love being a food blogger for so many different reasons, like…
- I love how my life revolves around natural lighting.
- I love how I have to spend 20 minutes finding the perfect lemons as food props, only to have it blurred out in the final edits.
- I love taking 50+ photos of these blueberry bars, only to use 1 in the final post.
- I love having to taste test a dozen cookies, only to go work it off at the gym right afterwards.
- I love the epic fails in the kitchen, like forgetting the sugar in your cornbread, even though you made the same mistake a month ago.
- I love writing my posts past midnight and then having to polish it up the next morning because apparently there were about 10 sentences that made absolutely no sense but was perfectly clear to me the night before.
I’m sure you caught my sarcasm in there somewhere but my point is, food blogging is incredibly tough work but in the end, I love it. I really do. Every second of it. And I love it even more now that I’m part of The Leftovers Club.
See, my good friend Jen over at Savory Simple created this club as a way for food bloggers to connect and exchange our baked goods with one another. The only requirement is that it must be a sweet or savory baked treat with a good shelf life and can be easily shipped.
That being said, I couldn’t help but bring these blueberry crumb bars to the party.
These crumb bars have been on my culinary bucket list for at least a year now and I finally got around to it. I’m not sure why it took me so long to make these because it really was so simple to whip up. It doesn’t even require a mixer!
And these crumb bars are seriously the best - that crumbly topping with the crunchy turbinado sugar and the sandwich blueberries paired with the tart lemons… Yeah, it sure is a party in your mouth when you bite into these. And they’re perfectly acceptable breakfast food, letting you indulge just a tiny bit before starting your day! Now who wouldn’t want the leftovers of these babies?!
Don’t forget to check out what everyone else in the club is bringing to the table!
- Savory Simple - Cappuccino Cookies
- Give Peas a Chance - Spiced Vanilla Honey Biscotti
- Kelly Bakes - Dulce de Leche Digestive Cookies
- Sprinkled With Flour - Chunky Twix Cookies
- Pineapple and Coconut - Cinnamon Dolce Oatmeal Cookies
- Budget Gourmet Mom - Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Stuffed Cookies
- Food n’ Focus - Cranberry Scones
- Bakeaholic Mama - Coconut Banana Brownie Pie
Sounds like fun? Visit The Leftovers Club to learn more and sign up!
Blueberry Crumb Bars (adapted from Cooking Classy):
Yields 9 bars
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8x8 baking dish with nonstick spray.
In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in lemon juice. Add blueberries and gently toss to combine; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Add egg yolk, vanilla, lemon zest and cold butter, using your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Spread 2/3 of the batter into the prepared baking dish. Spread blueberry mixture evenly over the bottom layer. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 of the batter and turbinado sugar.
Place into oven and bake until lightly browned, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting into bars.
- slimfitsexy likes this
- zombieswithcheese likes this
- sweetdope28 likes this
- seannalyn likes this
- greatdreamerscannotbetamed likes this
- katfoods reblogged this from damndelicious
- babyyousosexy likes this
- cbeeee likes this
- momorichh reblogged this from foodx3
- foodx3 reblogged this from damndelicious
- veronica8t8 likes this
- livingthroughgrace likes this
- tommysgirl likes this
- shyone645 likes this
- ameeraview reblogged this from damndelicious
- ameeraview likes this
- jerilando likes this
- atrololop likes this
- mimieats likes this
- rabbitreign likes this
- lindeelicious likes this
- wiz-liz likes this
- kimddikulus likes this
- mrbin0812 likes this
- afewordsfromthebride likes this
- mrcasually likes this
- youpitralala likes this
- zhenderyan likes this
- rockabillymomma likes this
- thecoldseahorse likes this
- wheredomybluebirdfly likes this
- endless-goodtimes likes this
- unspeakableshenanigans likes this
- peaceloveandhockeypucks reblogged this from damndelicious
- socorporate likes this
- katcakes likes this
- peegaw likes this
- princess-pocahotmess likes this
- man-dai likes this
- staceylades reblogged this from damndelicious
- staceylades likes this
- bobbyxpins likes this
- downinstruggletown likes this
- damndelicious posted this