Spicy Tofu Lettuce Wraps
These wraps are incredibly hearty, filling, carbless and healthy, loaded with tons of veggies – and the best part is that it takes just 20 min to make!
The start of a new year brings all sorts of resolutions and the attempt for some clean eating before going back to your old ways in 3 weeks. At least that’s how it happens for me.
So as 2013 rolled right in, I decided to make tofu lettuce wraps, trying to make a simple, quick and easy, weeknight meal.
I threw some tofu onto a cast iron skillet…
…sautéed some veggies…
…and cooked it down in a spicy Asian marinade before spooning that onto a Romaine lettuce heart.
I figured this recipe was something I would never revisit again but boy, was I wrong.
Jason started to eat these first since I was busy taking photos. As I kept glancing over to see if he liked it, I realized that he actually loved it. And him being a hardcore meat-and-potatoes type of guy, I never thought in a million years that he’d eat something like this.
He said, “I have no problem eating healthy but most healthy food tastes like crap. Yours doesn’t!”
So there you have it – tofu lettuce wraps that doesn’t taste like crap.
These wraps are incredibly hearty, filling, carbless and healthy, loaded with tons of veggies - and the best part is that it takes just 20 min to make!
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1-3 teaspoons sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (12-ounce) package firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- Romaine lettuce, for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, sambal oelek, ginger, sugar, rice vinegar and garlic; set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and sear until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add mushrooms and bell pepper to skillet and cook, stirring frequently until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in soy sauce mixture and cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 2-3 minutes.
- To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the tofu mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, taco-style.