Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Gyros
It’s time to dust off that crockpot with these pulled pork gyros loaded with homemade coleslaw, avocado and cherry tomatoes.
How do you plan your cooking during the week? If you’re anything like me, you’ll need a detailed weekly plan to get through the weekdays. It’s actually a bit of a process for me – I spend hours on a meal plan before I even begin to create my grocery list in order of the aisles at the store. Yeah, I’m a bit OCD overly organized here.
That being said, I am happy to share that I have joined the amazing Cook Smarts family, a weekly meal planning service that provides you with 4 simple meals every week that can be customized for paleo, vegetarian and gluten-free meals. They provide easy dinner steps that also include short how-to videos to help you get smarter while making dinner, and they even give back to organizations in your local community that support bringing food education back to schools!
So in honor of my first meal plan, we wanted to celebrate with a giveaway for a one-year subscription to their weekly meal planning service AND a $50 Whole Foods gift card to help you with some of those groceries you’ll be needing. We’re all about helping the home cook live happier, simpler and smarter in the kitchen and hope to be seeing more of you.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway ends on Friday, June 28, 2013 at 9:00 p.m. Pacific time. The winner will be selected by random.org and contacted by email. If there is no response after 48 hours, another winner will be selected.
Stay in touch by signing up for the Cook Smarts weekly newsletter and get dinner inspiration and smart cooking tips delivered to your inbox once a week! You can also check out Cook Smarts’ meal plan service for free – sign up for an account (no payment info required!) and get 3 weeks of meal plans to sample for as long as you want! Check it out here.
It’s time to dust off that crockpot with these slow cooker pulled pork gyros loaded with homemade coleslaw, avocado and cherry tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 1/2-3 lb pork loin, excess fat trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 medium red onions, quartered
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 pita bread, toasted, for serving
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt and pepper. Season pork loin with spice mixture, rubbing in thoroughly on all sides.
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add pork loin and sear both sides until browned, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place garlic, onions, pork loin and 1 cup water into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove pork loin from the slow cooker and shred the meat before returning to the pot with the juices; season with salt and pepper, to taste, if needed. Cover and keep warm for an additional 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and carrots. In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar and sugar, to taste. Pour mixture over cabbage slaw, and stir using a rubber spatula until well combined. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- To assemble, top each pita bread with pulled pork, broccoli slaw, tomatoes and avocado. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This giveaway is sponsored by Cook Smarts. All opinions expressed are my own.