Funfetti cupcakes topped with a vanilla buttercream frosting and sprinkled with colorful Fruity Pebbles – perfect for kids and grown ups!
I bring you these colorful and vibrant, cheerful cupcakes because it’s Sunday. Because I’m finally done unpacking in the new house. Because I can finally walk around the house without tripping over the slew of boxes around the living room. Because the cable guy finally came and fixed the TV. Because Breaking Bad will be on tonight, with just 3 episodes left! Because life is good and sprinkles and Fruity Pebbles just puts a big smile on my face.
I didn’t make these cupcakes for any occasion. I was just sitting at home one day and had a huge hankering for cupcakes. And since Fruity Pebbles is my absolute FAVORITE childhood cereal, I just had to sprinkle some on. I’ll be honest though – I only bought the cereal as a topping, not for cereal-eating purposes. But the next time I reached into the box, 75% of it was gone. Apparently, Jason still loves his Fruity Pebbles at 27! But I much prefer them in cupcake form, especially for breakfast!
Funfetti cupcakes topped with a vanilla buttercream frosting and sprinkled with colorful Fruity Pebbles - perfect for kids and grown ups!
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rainbow jimmies
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Fruity Pebbles, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, egg whites and vanilla.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients and milk mixture alternately in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, beating just until incorporated. Add rainbow jimmies and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray. Place into oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, approximately 1-2 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add heavy cream and vanilla, beating just until incorporated. Increase speed to medium high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Use a small offset spatula or a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip to frost cupcakes, garnished with Fruity Pebbles, if desired.