Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats
The easiest homemade dog treats ever – simply mix, roll and cut. Easy peasy, and so much healthier than store-bought!
I know. Dog treats on Damn Delicious? I never thought I’d see the day.
But with this face, I just couldn’t resist.
No, but really, I’ve been spending a lot of time and money shopping for good-quality dog treats for Butters here, but then I thought, why not just make them at home?
Nothing beats the homemade version and I know exactly what’s going into his food instead of all those suspicious by-products.
Best of all, these homemade treats are incredibly easy with ingredients you already have on hand – peanut butter, some leftover pumpkin puree from the holidays, eggs and whole wheat flour.
And bone-shaped cookie cutters are just so much fun to work with. I used these and made several different sizes, although I certainly favored the smallest ones. They are just too cute.
But you can really use any kind of cookie cutter you want – hearts, stars, dog houses, paws, etc. It’s up to you!
Just be sure to adjust baking time as needed – the longer they bake, the crunchier they are so it’s really up to your pups’ preferences.
And believe me when I tell you that your pup is going to LOVE these so much!
The easiest homemade dog treats ever - simply mix, roll and cut. Easy peasy, and so much healthier than store-bought!
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, or more, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat pumpkin puree, peanut butter and eggs on medium-high until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups flour at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.*
- Let cool completely.
*Baking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of the treats. Serving size will also vary depending on the desired shapes and cookie cutters used.
Adapted from use real butter
Please consult with your pet’s veterinarian regarding possible allergies your dog may have.