Muffin Monday: Jalapeno Cheddar Parmesan Cornbread Muffins
Just about a year ago, I was the type of the person who cooked by following each recipe line by line. I made no adaptations nor any substitutions. I don’t know what it was. I think I was just scared to experiment and have it go south to a complete disaster and waste food. But now, I’ve been having such a blast taking the base of someone else’s recipe and adding my own personal touch. And that’s exactly what I did with these muffins. It was initially just supposed to be parmesan and pine nut muffins but I wanted to give it a bit of flair so I turned them into cornbread muffins, swapping out the pine nuts for jalapenos, and then using up some sharp cheddar cheese that I had sitting around in the fridge. Hence, we have these jalapeno cornbread muffins.
Now here’s the result of these muffins. Let’s start with the cons. I was a bit too ambitious with the jalapenos and added way too much. I think one jalapeno for these babies is more than enough. Secondly, I wish there was just a touch of sweetness in these muffins. (I think 2 tablespoons honey would actually do the trick - changes noted below). Other than that, I absolutely loved them. You have this cheesy cornbread perfectly portioned into muffins that are filled with diced jalapenos and two different kinds of cheeses, giving you the perfect amount of flair in every bite. Plus, the edges of the muffins were wonderful crusty.
I’m happy to be experimenting in the kitchen but the only drawback is that I had to eat several of these to really gauge what I could do to make them better. I’m not sure if I should keep experimenting though because I’ll be gaining ten pounds in no time!
One year ago: Baked Jalapeno Poppers
Jalapeno Cheddar Parmesan Cornbread Muffins (adapted from 1 Mix, 100 Muffins):
Yields 11 muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced, plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, plus more for topping
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside. (If you don’t want to use paper liners, you could coat a muffin pan with cooking spray instead.)
In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper, to taste.
In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together the butter, buttermilk, honey and eggs.
Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist.
Add the jalapeno, Parmesan and cheddar and gently toss to combine.
Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray.
Top with sliced jalapeno, using your fingertips to gently press the jalapeno into the batter. Sprinkle with Parmesan and cheddar.
Place into oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.
- camillebetinyani likes this
- foxy-gusta likes this
- elduderin-oh likes this
- delishytown likes this
- adriatika likes this
- livingthroughgrace reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- aimeewins reblogged this from damndelicious
- lucidrea likes this
- weworshipyoulord likes this
- allaboutthanksgiving reblogged this from damndelicious
- gerriv reblogged this from damndelicious
- dezsantos likes this
- myhandmadejewelry likes this
- livelaughloveplease reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- hellrkitty likes this
- clarabell01 likes this
- heartsnatcher likes this
- soulofayoungman likes this
- vivalasteviemarie likes this
- juliet-daste reblogged this from damndelicious
- thequeenofhalloween likes this
- sensualneeds reblogged this from damndelicious
- zachmiaou likes this
- terminallycooking reblogged this from damndelicious
- ersatzsmile likes this
- sasha-says reblogged this from damndelicious
- justanexcuse2watchbridesmaids reblogged this from projecttastytreats
- bweester reblogged this from thatonewannabechef
- thatonewannabechef reblogged this from projecttastytreats
- thatonewannabechef likes this
- shetalkstobees likes this
- munchkin62 likes this
- ajoylesseuphoria likes this
- dianawinnn likes this
- projecttastytreats reblogged this from damndelicious
- alisae likes this
- malbokuu likes this
- alice-returns likes this
- youpitralala likes this
- 1ove-kim reblogged this from damndelicious
- yummybites likes this
- blasianovr9000 reblogged this from damndelicious
- blasianovr9000 likes this
- eflsm likes this
- macintyretalk reblogged this from damndelicious
- renaultdunoir reblogged this from damndelicious
- thislove14x likes this
- afanofthefans likes this
- the--generators likes this
- littlekyle likes this