Coffee Cake Muffins

Coffee Cake Muffins - The classic coffee cake is transformed into a convenient muffin, loaded with a mile-high crumb topping!

My fondest memory of coffee cake dates back to middle school. We’d all line up at the cafeteria during break time and they’d serve us this huge square chunk of the warmest, most fluffy coffee cake I’ve ever had.

Now it’s been a while since I’ve had coffee cake. I don’t make it that often because when I do, well, I tend to eat the entire pan. Yeah, there’s absolutely no self control here.

That’s why I decided to make this in convenient, single-serving, portion-controlled muffins. That way I can eat 1 and send the rest off with Jason to share with his classmates.

Although it’s really hard to stop at yourself at just one muffin, especially since these babies are loaded with a mile-high crumbly topping and a light vanilla glaze. You’ll want to just pick off all the crumbs on top before diving right in!

Coffee Cake Muffins

Prep Time 25 minutes

Cook Time 20 minutes

Total Time 35 minutes

Yield 12 muffins

Coffee Cake Muffins

Ingredients

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners or coat with nonstick spray; set aside.
  • To make the crumb topping, combine sugars, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in melted butter. Add flour and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist. Spread out mixture on parchment paper to dry until ready to use.
  • In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
  • In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together milk, canola oil and egg. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir using a rubber spatula just until moist.
  • Scoop the batter evenly into the muffin tray. Sprinkle with reserved crumb topping, using your fingertips to gently press the crumbs into the batter. Place into oven and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
  • To make the glaze, combine confectioners’ sugar and milk. Whisk until smooth. If the glaze is too thin, add more confectioners’ sugar as needed.
  • When the muffins are done, cool for 10 minutes and drizzle the glaze on each muffin.
  • Allow glaze to set before serving.

Notes

Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Imperial Sugar. All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

• Chung-Ah says

Traditional coffee cake does not usually contain coffee. The name refers to how the cake is eaten – with a cup of coffee.

1. says

What a great idea. I make a lot of coffee cake. It’s quick and everyone always seems to totally enjoy it. But muffins are even better! So portable. I like the picture that looks like someone too a lip smacking good bite out of it!

2. says

Chung-Ah, these muffins are amazing! That fluffy light interior looks so moist ‘n delicious, and the more crumbs on top, the better. Love all of these photos – that lighting is gorgeous. Wish i could reach into my screen to grab one or three of these!

3. Erin says

These were pretty good but next time I’m going to have to make a few adjustments to them.

There ended up being way too much crumb mixture, so I would cut that in half. Also, the crumb mixture tasted a bit flour-y so I might cut back on the flour by a bit too (1/2 cup instead of 3/4 cup maybe).

Also, I was just a bit short on the icing, so I ended up increasing that by 1/4.

Pretty tasty overall though, I’ll definitely make them again sometime with the adjustments I mentioned.

• Chung-Ah says

Glad you had a chance to try these! As for the crumb mixture and icing – that’s just really based on personal preference and how much you use. For me, I used the ENTIRE batch of crumbs – the more, the merrier! I also like just a bit of icing so it’s not overly sweet.

4. monicatambajong149 says

I just made this today. They’re soooooo good!!!

One thing, though… The crumbs are just tooooooo much for me. I was left with half the original amount of crumbs. I don’t know what i’ll do with it yet… Maybe i’ll just make another batch of muffins…

Thanks! This recipe is superb!!!

5. Jasmine says

I made these yesterday for my son’s preschool teachers. I filled the muffin cups halfway and had enough batter for 16 muffins (thankfully I also had a small 6 muffin tin). The topping was just enough for 16 muffins and made a good muffin to topping ratio. I just realized that I forgot the glaze, no wonder I didn’t think the muffins were very sweet which I was hoping for. Thanks for the recipe it was delicious!

6. Kolleen says

I made these for a playgroup play date. Yum! I love a crumby top, so I used a lot but there was still a lot leftover. I got 17 regular-size muffins out of the recipe. I made the glaze twice to accommodate the extra muffins, but they still could have used more. And I’d also recommend 15 mins. vs. 17 mins.

7. Samantha says

I too ended up with a ton of leftover crumbs, but it’s no matter, I’ll just make another batch of muffins! Also, like an idiot, I forgot the baking soda, but luckily they still rose nicely. I used vanilla almond milk in place of dairy milk due to lactose intolerance and it still worked fine. I baked mine for 17 minutes, as I believe my oven runs cool and usually takes longer rather than shorter. Thanks so much for this easy, tasty, not-overly-sweet recipe!

8. LaSandra O'neal says

THERE WAS TOO MUCH CRUMB TOPPING, THE MUFFINS WERE LITERALLY HALF CRUMBLE STUFF. THEY WERE PRETTY DAMN TASTY THOUGH.

9. Christina says

I’m not sure why everyone says there was too much crumb topping. I was worried I wouldn’t have enough! I did and got to chow down on some while they were baking. I made a double batch and they turned out amazing!! I followed the recipe and measurements. The crumb topping did taste a little floury before baked. Once baked, it was perfection! I brought these into work and they were gone in two minutes and I keep getting requests to make them again! Delicious!! Thanks for sharing!

10. Bianca says

I tried this recipe. The muffins taste good, thumbs up for the crumb topping and glaze. But I had a problem with the muffins, the paper liners were so hard to remove. I don’t know if it’s the batter or if my baking time was just longer. My batter’s consistency wasn’t the same as the one on your photos. I think I baked them for about 17mins. What do you think went wrong? Any suggestions so that next time they’d be better. But they are delicious though. Thanks!

• Chungah says

Bianca, it is very difficult for me to say what went wrong as I was not in the kitchen with you. That being said, I worry that the consistency of the batter may have played a very important role in this issue. Did you follow the recipe exactly as is without any substations?

• Bianca says

Yes, I followed the recipe exactly as it is.. Maybe next time I try this recipe I will be more careful in mixing the milk mixture with the dry ingredients to get the same consistency.. Thanks anyway!:)

11. Aditi says

Im so excited to make them to share with friends. Any suggestions on how to store them so that the crumb topping wont get soggy?

12. Julia says

Just made these and they are perfection for fall time!! I already love coffee cake and can now make it in muffin form!! So delicious and I will definitely be making them for Thanksgiving!

13. Sharla says

I can’t wait to make these! I pinned them and they have been repinned way more than I can count. I keep getting notifications!! I am confused about the crumb topping. The recipe above says 1 1/2 c flour for the topping. That sounds like a lot. One of the comments said 3/4 c. I assume 3/4 c is accurate and all other ingredients/measurements as stated in recipe? Thanks!

14. Jennifer says

Hello,
    Is that correct melted butter? I’ve done other recipes and usually they say streusel toppings include cold butter not melted butter. Just wanted to make sure that was correct. Also, how long do you let the topping sit for since you use the melted butter?

• Chungah says

Yes, the melted butter is correct. And as indicated in the recipe, you can spread out the streusel mixture on parchment paper to dry while you prepare the rest of the ingredients for the muffins.

15. Meghan says

My daughters (6 and 10) made these to bring to my husbands machine shop for coffee break. Everyone liked them, and they went quickly. I don’t think I’ll use the glaze though. It was fine, just not my preference. Also, I think I’ll add a bit of lemon zest. Thanks for the recipe!

16. Kathy says

I’ll be whipping these up for the husband – he’s a coffee cake muffin freak! Thanks for recipe – sounds awesome.

17. amber says

Muffins came out good but I don’t understand why you melt the butter because it made my crbs wet and so the muffins were not crumby!? What did I do wrong?

• Chungah says

Amber, I find that melting the butter is an easier way to create a crumb topping, although I’m not sure why your crumbs turned out so wet. As you can see from the photos, the crumbs should be very dry and crumbly. Did you use all of the 1 1/2 cups flour as listed in the recipe?

• Chungah says

Dina, you can certainly try substituting canola or coconut oil but without further recipe testing, I cannot speak for how much this will change the overall taste/texture of the muffins. It is always best to use the ingredients listed in the recipe to obtain the best results possible, but if substitutions must be made using what you have on hand, please do so at your discretion.