Zucchini Pizza Bites
Healthy, nutritious pizza bites that come together in just 15 minutes with only 5 ingredients!
Jason and I ordered a late-night pizza the other day as “post vacation recovery” food. But when I woke up the next morning, I felt so nauseous and bloated the entire day. I know I don’t have the metabolism of an 18-yr old but man – I don’t think I can do late night pizza runs anymore!
So when I had another pizza craving 2 days later, I just had to try these 5-ingredient zucchini pizza bites instead. And boy, was in for a treat.
I honestly didn’t know what to expect using a zucchini round as a pizza base. After all, carbs and I (particularly pizza crust carbs) have a love affair happening. But little did I know that these zucchini rounds were an amazing substitute for all those heavy calories.
The zucchini rounds were so great for portion control, and such fun finger foods to pass along the table. You can also control the amount of cheese to top off – if you’re really watching your calories, a little bit goes a long way. Plus, the mini pepperonis make these even more fun to eat!
Healthy, nutritious pizza bites that come together in just 20 minutes with only 5 ingredients!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- Kosher salt and freshy ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup finely grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup pepperoni minis
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Working in batches, add zucchini and cook, flipping once, until golden, about 1-2 minutes on each side; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place zucchini rounds onto a large baking sheet. Top each zucchini round with marinara, mozzarella and pepperoni minis.
- Place into oven and cook until the cheese has melted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with Italian seasoning, if desired.
Adapted from Comfort of Cooking