Carnitas Avocado Pizza with Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise Drizzle #SundaySupper
It’s Sunday, which means I have another installment of #SundaySupper, except today’s theme revolves around a Mexican fiesta. That means we’re serving up margaritas, salsa, quesadillas and of course, carnitas… on a pizza.
Yeah, I so went there.
And instead of marinara, I used tomatilla salsa as the base, a topping of caramelized onions, bell peppers and jalapenos, and then a chipotle avocado mayo drizzle with some extra diced avocado.
I’m a bit of an avocado
I was actually a bit worried about having too much avocado (is that even possible?!) but even with the double dose, it actually balanced so well with the juicy, flavorful carnitas, which was roasted for a good four hours. It also made the house smell AH-MAZING, although it was definitely a bit tortuous waiting for it to finish cooking.
The best part about this recipe is not the meaty-avocado goodness on a wonderfully thin crust pizza but the leftover carnitas! Jason and I made tacos with the leftover meat along with the chipotle avocado mayo and it was to die for!
So here’s how to make this:
Let’s first make the spice rub for the carnitas by combining some chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt.
Go ahead and slather this rub all over the chuck roast. You want to get all the corners and the sides (you’ll thank me later for this).
Now let’s sear this baby on both sides, letting it get nice and brown.
Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about.
Then we’ll pour in the orange juice and cover it up to roast on low heat for about 3-4 hours.
Go ahead and shred this baby before throwing it back into the pot with the juices.
Next we’ll saute some onion, bell pepper and jalapeno until they get nicely caramelized and golden.
Now for the chipotle avocado mayo - it’s actually super easy to make. All we need is some chipotle peppers, avocado, mayo, Green yogurt, lime juice and a bit of salt.
Throw all that in a food processor and give it a good whirl until you get some major creaminess happening.
Now take a jar of tomatillo salsa and slather it on a stretched out pizza dough before topping it off with some fresh mozzarella and the onion-bell-pepper-jalapeno mixture. Go ahead and pop that bad boy into the oven to bake for about 12-15 minutes.
Once it’s out of the oven, top it off with the juicy carnitas, some avocado and green onions and a final drizzle of the chipotle avocado mayo goodness.
Be sure not to skimp on the meat - there’s plenty to go around!
Don’t forget to check out what everyone else is bringing to the table!
Sopas (Soups), Ensaladas (Salads), and Entremeses (Starters):
- Chicken Tortilla Soup - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Mexican Paint Soup - Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Jalapeño Popper Dip - Chocolate Moosey
- Vegan Tortilla Soup - Galactosemia in PDX
- Texas Caviar - Ruffles and Truffles
- Cheese-Stuffed Jalapeños w/ a Tequila Sunrise - Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Mini Taco Salads - Big Bear’s Wife
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip & Chips - The Daily Dish Recipes
- Stoplight Salsa Reisipe - Family Foodie
La Comida (the food):
- Tamales – A Family Tradition - Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Fiesta in La Boca Enchiladas (Chicken & White Bean Enchiladas w/ Salsa Verde) - The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Enmoladas (Chicken Mole Enchiladas) - The Meltaways
- Gluten-Free Chicken Spinach Artichoke Enchiladas for #SundaySupper - Cooking Underwriter
- Mexican Fiesta for #SundaySupper: Chipotle Chicken & 3 Bean Quesadillas w/ Wasabi Guacamole and Mango Salsa - Chattering Kitchen
- Quick and Easy Fiesta Rice - Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Carnitas - My Catholic Kitchen
- Tamale Pie - Noshing with the Nolands
- Eggs Motuleños - The Meltaways
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa - Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Carne Asada - Magnolia Days
- Frijoles Charros (Cowboy Beans) - La Cocina de Leslie
- Puerco Pibil - girlichef
- BLT Quesadillas with Avocado Mayo - Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chile Rellenos with Roasted Tomato Sauce - Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tamales with Green Chili Sauce - Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Beef and Vegetable Enchiladas - Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Con Queso - Momma’s Meals
- Baked Flautas - Home Cooking Memories
- Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola - What Smells So Good?
- Street Tacos Al Pastor - Sustainable Dad
- Shrimp Tacos - Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Chiles Rellenos with Ranchero Sauce - The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Zippy Chipotle Shrimp & Mango Tostadas - Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pork Tacos - Tora’s Real Food
- Stuffed Sopapillas - Juanita’s Cocina
- Chicken Fajitas - Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blue Crab Tacos - Pescetarian Journal
- Huevos Rancheros - Comfy Cuisine
- Chocolate Cinnamon Flan - Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Caramel Apple Enchiladas for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper - In the Kitchen with KP
- Chilli Chocolate Truffles - Happy Baking Days
- Horchata Ice Cream & Churro Brownies - Kwistin’s Favorites
- Empanadas - In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maureen
- Plantain Fritters - From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Beer Margaritas - That Skinny Chick can bake
- Hatch Chile Margarita - Shockingly Delicious
- Skinny & Spicy Watermelon Margaritas - I Run for Wine
- Refreshing Kiwi Lime Margarita - Mama Mommy Mom
- Wine Pairings for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper - ENOFYLZ
One year ago: Six Ingredient Pizza Bake
Carnitas Avocado Pizza with Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise Drizzle (adapted from Running to the Kitchen, original recipe from Pioneer Woman):
Yields 3-4 servings
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3-4 pounds chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 ball Fail-Proof Pizza Dough
- 1/4 cup semolina or yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa
- 12 ounces mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Diced avocado, for serving
For the chipotle avocado mayonnaise (adapted from Life’s Ambrosia):
- 1-3 chipotle peppers, in adobo sauce
- 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
To make the spice rub, combine chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt in a small bowl.
Sprinkle the spice rub over the chuck roast, rubbing in thoroughly on all sides.
Heat canola oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add chuck roast and sear both sides until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Add orange juice. Cover and roast until tender and falling apart, about 3-4 hours.
Remove the chuck roast from the Dutch oven and shred the meat before returning to the pot with the juices.
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeno and cook until tender and golden, about 5-6 minutes.
To make the chipotle avocado mayonnaise, combine chipotle peppers, avocado, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lime juice and salt in the bowl of a food processor; set aside.
Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking sheet or pizza pan with olive oil.
Working on a surface that has been sprinkled with semolina or cornmeal, roll out pizza dough into a thin rectangle. Transfer to prepared baking sheet or pizza pan.
Spread tomatillo salsa over the top, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with mozzarella and onion mixture.
Place into oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is crisp and brown on the bottom and the cheese is melted on top.
Top with shredded carnitas, chipotle avocado mayonnaise, green onions and avocado.
Cut the pizza into squares and serve immediately.
- thethoughtsihave likes this
- fulmoun likes this
- alexandra-arena likes this
- needwantloveher likes this
- adalimedina likes this
- farefortheextraordinaire reblogged this from damndelicious
- cheylani likes this
- infinityplustoo likes this
- willmochabarbeau likes this
- foodaliciousfoodette likes this
- jorgesanchef reblogged this from damndelicious
- randomtactics likes this
- byedefinition likes this
- thepinky054 reblogged this from damndelicious
- joyuntiltheveryend likes this
- xxlivingdeadgirl420xx likes this
- dreamsinvadingreality likes this
- gellabellabean likes this
- 7imitless likes this
- milesabovereality likes this
- youpitralala likes this
- allisonsasso likes this
- dulcenucita likes this
- oloxo likes this
- cantcontrolmythoughts reblogged this from damndelicious
- cantcontrolmythoughts likes this
- darksacrednight reblogged this from damndelicious
- darksacrednight likes this
- maestroram likes this
- dayescape likes this
- bgloha likes this
- djthumbelina likes this
- marlenachin likes this
- latenightswithpono likes this
- misskariii likes this
- tibbyme likes this
- pixilatedpocky likes this
- viii-xxxi-xii-forever likes this
- jack-0-lanterns-in-july reblogged this from damndelicious
- tipofmytonguee likes this
- bryanwong likes this
- damndelicious posted this