Pancetta Mac and Cheese Panini
So for those of you who are on their new year diets and cleanses, I apologize first. I did something bad. Like really bad - so bad it’ll take you off your diet and then you’ll be hating me for a bit.
See, it’s Wisconsin Cheese’s 30 Days, 30 Ways with Mac and Cheese so in an attempt to make something crazy, I decided to make a grilled cheese panini. But instead of using, well, melted cheese, I used mac and cheese. Then I topped it off with pancetta and grilled it to crusty, crisp perfection.
It was quite an epic sandwich for me and Jason. I mean with mac and cheese stuffed in a sandwich, how can anything go wrong?
It was a wonderful blend of cheddar, asiago and romano cheese, giving it such a rich creaminess without it being too sharp. Plus, it balanced out the salty pancetta just perfectly.
I’ll be sure to make this again, but only after I run like 10 miles. It’s not easy to stop at 1 serving for this!
Pancetta Mac and Cheese Panini
Yields 6 servings
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) Wisconsin Asiago Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) Wisconsin Romano Cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound pancetta, thinly sliced
- 12 slices sourdough bread, toasted
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well and set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until well combined. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, 1-2 minutes. Stir in cream cheese, then gradually whisk in Cheddar, Asiago and Romano, a handful at a time, until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; add cheese sauce to pasta and stir.
Heat remaining butter in grill pan over medium-high heat. Place 2 slices pancetta on one side of sourdough bread, top with generous scoop of prepared macaroni and cheese and then top with another slice of bread to create a sandwich. Repeat with remaining slices of bread and macaroni and cheese to make six sandwiches.
Place sandwich in pan and grill, flipping once, until bread is golden and filling is heated through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board. All opinions expressed are my own.
- iamtheworldwideweb likes this
- virtualnarcissism likes this
- opticpocketknife likes this
- xcincynthia likes this
- sorryidontswim likes this
- fujidesu likes this
- astard likes this
- kaylalallama reblogged this from damndelicious
- dammyrag likes this
- spicychoclatensunsets likes this
- delightfullydeceiving reblogged this from themacandcheesefiles and added:
- amegalodon likes this
- blushingscarlett likes this
- foreveryoungsoon reblogged this from damndelicious
- youregold likes this
- factorycream likes this
- foshizzel likes this
- peayeahknow reblogged this from oscurovolpe
- illea likes this
- metronomeblue reblogged this from illsevenyournine
- foreveracomiclover reblogged this from illsevenyournine
- foreveracomiclover likes this
- metronomeblue likes this
- illsevenyournine reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- pupswithwheels likes this
- shir-llley likes this
- teddi93 likes this
- lifeslittlemisteries likes this
- lime-and-apple likes this
- kingsleeper likes this
- oddityball reblogged this from saiaki
- saiaki reblogged this from themacandcheesefiles
- mrxsteezy reblogged this from themacandcheesefiles
- mrxsteezy likes this
- misterbombastic likes this
- alanahanada reblogged this from themacandcheesefiles
- mae680martin likes this
- curvyandhealthygirl reblogged this from themacandcheesefiles
- rough-and-tumblr likes this
- adventuresofgoldielocks likes this
- pitterpatterheart likes this
- ajhhan reblogged this from themacandcheesefiles
- zombiecuddle likes this
- emlaym likes this
- idontevencarelolbye reblogged this from themacandcheesefiles
- kandehkastle likes this
- gobi-butt2 reblogged this from themacandcheesefiles
- sketchofasinner likes this
- brownsugarkiss reblogged this from themacandcheesefiles