One Pot Cheeseburger Casserole
All the flavors of a cheeseburger in cheesy pasta form made in one skillet in less than 30 minutes – even the pasta gets cooked right in the pan!
With a very cloudy day today, I decided to take the day off and unplug from everything. Jason and I took a stroll to Berkeley, had an amazing brunch together, and walked around the little boutique stores window shopping. I forget how refreshing it is to take a break from time to time, especially when you’re buried in your own work 24/7. The perks of being your own boss, right?
But now that my lazy day is over, I really need to share this pasta skillet. See, after I made that one pot andouille sausage skillet pasta, I’ve been somewhat addicted to these easy one pot meals. After all, I’d do anything for less dirty dishes in the sink!
Now if you’re a cheeseburger lover like me, you’ll love this pasta skillet. It’s all the flavors of a cheeseburger in pasta form with crumbled ground beef, melted cheddar cheese and fresh tomatoes. You can even go further and top these with your favorite burger toppings like pickled jalapeños or crumbled bacon – the sky’s the limit!
All the flavors of a cheeseburger in cheesy pasta form made in one skillet in less than 30 minutes - even the pasta gets cooked right in the pan!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 pound rotini pasta
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add ground beef and onion and cook until beef has browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, ketchup, mustard, pasta and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-16 minutes.
- Remove from heat and top with cheese. Cover until cheese has melted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with tomato and green onions, if desired.
Adapted from No. 2 Pencil