Asian Style Chicken Nuggets with Lemon Glaze
Chicken nuggets, we all love them, right? McDonald’s chicken nuggets are my absolute favorite, especially when they’re dunked into BBQ and sweet and sour sauce. But then I became a health conscious freak and swore that I would never touch their nuggets again.
That being said, I think it’s been a very long time since I had some decent chicken nuggets. It’s not like I would order them from the kid’s menu when I eat out, although I’ve been tempted to a couple of times. I think I might have even stolen a couple from my niece’s plate one time.
Yeah, I know, I can be a bit sketchy too.
Anyway, I’ve found an Asian style chicken nugget recipe that will knock your socks off. They’re first marinated in a super flavorful Asian marinade for a couple of hours and then they’re dusted with some flour before they get deep fried in some peanut oil. But that’s not all - they’re then glazed with a wonderfully semi-sweet lemon glaze, which gives off such refreshing flavor.
Serve it with some rice and you’ll have the best chicken nugget meal ever.
So here’s how you make this:
Let’s first make the marinade by combining the rice vinegar, soy sauce, mirin, sesame seed oil, garlic, ginger and green onions.
Then we’ll stir in the chicken, letting it marinate for at least 2 hours. You could alternatively combine all of this in a gallon size Ziploc bag.
After it’s done marinating, drain the marinade and toss the chicken with some flour.
Then comes the fun stuff - we’ll deep fry these babies in some peanut oil until they get nice and golden brown. They’ll cook fairly quickly, about 2-3 minutes.
Be sure to drain these bad boys on some fresh paper towels.
Finally, we’ll make the awesome lemon glaze by heating up some rice vinegar, sugar, lemon zest and juice, cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water over medium low heat. We’ll let it get nice and thick, which should take about 1-2 minutes.
Now it’s time to serve the nuggets, either drizzled with the glaze or tossed in with the glaze, which I did here.
You could even be bad and toss the nuggets with the glaze and then drizzle on some more!
One year ago: Beef and Scallion Stir-Fry
Asian Style Chicken Nuggets with Lemon Glaze (adapted from Cooking in Sens):
Yields 2 servings
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seed oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
For the lemon glaze:
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
In a large bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, mirin, sesame seed oil, garlic, ginger and green onions. In a gallon size Ziploc bag or large bowl, combine the marinade and chicken; marinate at least 2 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
Drain the chicken from the marinade, discarding the marinade.
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and the flour.
Heat peanut oil in a cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F. Add the chicken and fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
To make the glaze, combine the rice vinegar, sugar, lemon zest and juice, cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water over medium low heat. Bring to a boil, simmering until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
Serve the chicken nuggets immediately, tossed or drizzled with the lemon glaze.
- beansproutmomo likes this
- letsseehowfarwevecome92 likes this
- ohfudgies reblogged this from damndelicious
- umami-kitchen likes this
- banichaudhary likes this
- needwantloveher likes this
- uniuquebeauty reblogged this from damndelicious and added:
- myoverweightdiary likes this
- so14below likes this
- sparks-fly-whenever-y0u-smile reblogged this from thecraving
- castrogirls3 likes this
- solarahanover likes this
- frankr3337 likes this
- day-dreamingg likes this
- essentialmakeover likes this
- foodjunkee likes this
- jendoodle likes this
- t33f0 likes this
- terminallycooking reblogged this from damndelicious
- s-kinny-m-innie reblogged this from damndelicious
- foreverhungry114 likes this
- allswallowsbitch likes this
- sparks-fly-whenever-y0u-smile likes this
- hellrkitty likes this
- ready4thechallenge reblogged this from damndelicious
- pixilatedpocky reblogged this from jack-0-lanterns-in-july
- jack-0-lanterns-in-july reblogged this from damndelicious
- mscocainejane likes this
- randomawesomeness321 likes this
- tibbyme likes this
- aslfan likes this
- cindyy21242 likes this
- moesmoooo likes this
- laurenyep likes this
- slendah reblogged this from thecraving
- xiav likes this
- shirahanee likes this
- thecraving reblogged this from damndelicious
- foodjunkee reblogged this from damndelicious
- maestroram likes this
- speciallyforkiyoshitaro likes this
- murezza likes this
- bgloha likes this
- swisstea likes this
- dapperpaper likes this
- youpitralala likes this
- niedergeschlagen reblogged this from damndelicious
- aquabutt likes this
- lindeelicious likes this